Carers of people with learning disabilities are often unique amongst Carers. Many will experience a lifetime of caring for their relative, as a learning disability is diagnosed at or around birth and the effects are long term. More than half of adults with a learning disability live with their families into adulthood.
When people with learning disabilities move away from the family home, the caring role often continues to some extent as Carers may continue to provide support with financial management, general advice and guidance and may carers may continue to provide long term practical and emotional support.
Sometimes caring can become mutual, with a person who has a learning disability caring for their ageing parent or sibling.
What issues do Carers of a person with a learning disability experience?
Issues could include, but this is not an exhaustive list-
- Getting a diagnosis
- Accessing education
- Transition support-preparing to leave school and move into adulthood and possibly further education
- Access to work or desired activity
- Funding for the desired support at home, work or elsewhere
- Getting a break from caring
- Relationship support for the Carer or cared for person
- Supporting decisions of consequence and significance (housing options, health decisions, safeguarding and bigger financial decisions)
- Either leaving items in a Will and/or Trusts or supporting your relative with making a Will
- Benefits advice
- Contingency Planning- preparing for the future when it may not be possible for the Carer to continue in the caring role, in either an unplanned short term situation or in the longer term
- Feeling stressed and/or tired
How can we support you?
Offer home visits to talk through your situation face to face, or arrange another convenient location
We focus on you and help improve your health and wellbeing and reduce the impact of the caring role by:
- Giving information and advice
- Providing emotional support & time to talk
- Guiding you through the ‘red tape’ of authority
- Helping to maximise your income
- Signposting other appropriate organisations
- Support to complete Carer Assessment
Do you need to speak to someone?
Our dedicated support line is open from 9am – 5pm Monday – Friday