adults affected by a relative's substance misuse

Who are drugs, alcohol or addiction carers?

If you live in Hambleton or Richmondshire and are providing care to someone who is receiving treatment for substance misuse, you could be able to access support from us as an addiction carer. The care you provide could be practical or emotional, and you don’t have to live with the person you care for to receive support from us. We take referrals from GP’s and addiction recovery services.

What issues do drugs, alcohol or addiction carers face?

Many people in the UK are caring for someone with a drug or alcohol addiction. Nearly 1.5 million adults are affected by a relative’s substance misuse, and they can often feel worried, frustrated and powerless to help.

The physical and emotional impact of caring for someone with an addiction can be high. Carers can play an important role in helping somebody to stop using drugs or alcohol, but it can be hard to set and enforce bounderies.

How can we support you?

We offer support to carers who are affected by substance misuse. This includes parents, partners, children, siblings, grandparents and friends.

It can be helpful to talk to someone who understands what you are going through. If you get support for yourself, you’ll be able to support the person you care for better.

Do you need to speak to someone?

Our dedicated support line is open from 9am - 5pm Monday - Friday

Font Resize